An influence of the Mughals and a delicasy for curry lovers which is mild, creamy with richness of the almonds and tanginess of the yogurt making it a family favourite and delicious and healthy curry you dont want to miss cooking!
- 1 cup almonds you can make a paste or use almond flour
- 1 cup yogurt greek full fat
- 750 gms skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2-3 cardamom pods crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic or paste
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil/ghee for cooking
Soak almonds and make them into a paste ( use almond flour) instead
In a glass bowl, marinate the chicken with yogurt and garlic paste and salt and keep it aside for 30 min or overnight if you prefer
Heat oil/ghee in a pan, when ready add the bay leaf and cardamom pods and add the onions and saute it for 3-4 min till golden brown
Add the marinated chicken and cook it through till the gravy comes to boil and water evaporates from the yogurt.
Add the almond flour or paste at this stage and stir it, add a little water or stock to bring it consitency
Add the dry spices and cover lid and cook for a few more mintes till chicken is cooked through
Add the garam masala and garnish it with herbs
Serve it hot with Roti/Naan/Rice
Always use good quality ingredients.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature before cooking
- Slightly crush the cardamom pods before adding them to oil to avoid bursting
- The Almond paste will make the gravy thick and sticky to the pot so make sure you add water to maintain consistency of the curry.